This position is responsible for the maintenance of the Accounting system and generates timely and accurate financial statements with minimal supervision. Interpretation & preparation of reports and records for Management and outside investors is a must.
- Ensure accurate account codes, roll ups and integrity in the General Ledger for all plants and companies.
- Reconcile all non-fixed asset subsidiary ledger balances to the General Ledger control accounts; investigate and correct any discrepancies and ensure accuracy in the sub-ledgers to the G/L diligently (i.e. Accounts Receivable/Payable, Received Not Vouchered, Customer Deposits/Debits, Payroll, Inter-company).
- Co-ordinate with all plants and companies the month end close cycle; perform the month end close.
- Monthly reconciliation of key balance sheet & income statement accounts using strong Excel skills.
- Prepare monthly journal entries, including accruals, reversals, prepaids, labour and benefits costs; allocate these costs appropriately to each facility.
- Prepare, accumulate and organize the monthly working paper files for all companies to be submitted to the Accounting Supervisor in a timely manner; this file should include full supporting documentation for account analysis and all balance sheet accounts. Ability to take ownership.
- Specifically, be responsible for all A/R, Prepaids, A/P, doubtful accounts, accruals and equity sections of the monthly working paper file.
- Work with the Accounting Supervisor to issue the final monthly financial statements, management reporting package, cash flow, Income Statements and Inter-company transactions and reconciliations within the assigned deadlines. Needs to be flexible and willing to “go the extra mile.”
- Assist the Accounting Supervisor in preparing accurate quarterly reports.
- Measure actual performance versus static and flexible budgets and objectives to senior management recommending strategies for improvement.
- Calculate a Balance Sheet and Return on Net Assets for each facility.
- Assume the role of key user for the General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable modules, as required by the Finance department and Plant Management.
- Work with the Accounting Supervisor in determining the viability of alternating job functions within the Finance department to better utilize the ERP system.
- Assist in the annual external and other government audits.
- Act as the backup to the Financial Accountant for certain key responsibilities.
- Provide training, assistance and advice to the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable personnel.
- Ability to take on Special projects with little assistance, as required.
- Ability to anticipate problems before they arise; provide and implement solutions and policy and procedure changes quickly with no prompting.
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining a strong attention to detail in order to prepare accurate and timely financial results.
- Prepare Statistics Canada and other government reports.
- Ability to use his or her strong inter-personal and communications skills and determination to work within and outside the Accounting department to resolve issues and meet deadlines in a proactive manner.
5th Level CGA or CMA finalist
Five+ years experience in Financial Accounting.
An Advanced knowledge of accounting theories and practices as they relate to GAAP.
Relationships With Others:
Position interacts with Accounting staff, Purchasing, Sales, Manufacturing, Customers and Suppliers.
May require a certain degree of tact or diplomacy.
Complexity Of Tasks:
Position requires the ability to analyze & create complex reports. Good judgement and strong organizational skills.
Develop of introductory supervision skills.
Note: Specialized knowledge in the areas of accounting and computer. Travel to various plants.
Salary: 55-60 K